Apply & Interview
Thank you for your interest in the Duluth Family Medicine Residency Program. We accept applications exclusively through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) and candidates must be registered with the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP). The Duluth program participates in and abides by the rules of ERAS and the NRMP.
- Graduated from medical school within five years of application, or have patient care experience within five years of application. Medical Schools must appear in one of the following directories:
- Qualified to begin work by mid-June
- Be eligible for a Minnesota Board of Medical Practice license
- Maximum of two failed attempts on all USMLE or COMPLEX exams across all exam portions
- USMLE / COMLEX transcript updated in ERAS upon receipt of each step/level exam results.
- USMLE Step 3 or COMLEX Level 3 to be passed within five years of Step 2 (CK) / Level 2 (CE)
- The first USMLE / COMLEX exam taken within eight years of starting residency or completed the SPEX exam within three attempts
- Have verified U.S. clinical experience
- International medical school graduates have ECFMG certification
- Current international medical students certified by residency start date.
- Past international medical school graduates certified for interview selection.
Please note: We do not sponsor H-1B visas. The J-1 alien physician visa, sponsored by ECFMG, is the preferred status for foreign national trainees in all University of Minnesota graduate medical education programs.
The materials are required with your ERAS application.
- Personal statement
- Medical school performance evaluation (MSPE)
- Transcripts from all medical schools attended
- Curriculum vitae
- Three recent letters of recommendation*
- USMLE and/or COMLEX transcripts
- Photograph of yourself
*Request that least one letter be written by a family physician
The following items are preferred by this Program:
- Exhibit strong interest in full-spectrum, rural family medicine.
- At least one letter of recommendation from a family physician.
- USMLE Step 2 or COMLEX Level 2 exam results are not required for current students, but preferred for interview ranking selection.
- Applicants must meet the criteria to be considered for possible off-cycle or PGY-2 positions. Please contact the Residency Office at 218.529.9103 regarding PGY-2 availability and application process.
International Medical Graduates
International graduates must also meet the following requirements:
- U.S. citizen
- Graduate of an outside the U.S. or Canada medical school accredited by the World Directory of Medical Schools
- Meet Minnesota Board of Medical Practice requirements to obtain a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine following completion of PGY1
- Current and valid ECFMG certificate or a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in Minnesota
- The Duluth program does not sponsor Visas
Interviewing begins in October, and ends in January. Interviews are by invitation only. You will have opportunities to meet and visit with residents, faculty and staff throughout the day.
Schedule an Interview
After receiving an invitation, please contact us to arrange your interview. Only four applicants are scheduled per day. Interviews are private and conducted by the faculty and residents.
Applicants and their spouses or significant others are invited to attend a dinner get-together hosted by residents and their families. This is a unique opportunity to interact with residents in a relaxed, informal setting.
The Duluth program provides overnight accommodations to applicants who interview at The Inn on Lake Superior in beautiful Canal Park.
Any questions about the application process or other aspects of the residency program may be directed to the faculty or raised during your personal interview. Please feel free to contact us at any time regarding other questions or concerns.
The Duluth Family Medicine Residency Program participates in and abides by the rules of ERAS and the NRMP.
|NRMP Program Code 1334120C7||U Minnesota Med School Family Med/Duluth|
|ERAS Program Code 1334120C7||University of Minnesota (Duluth) Program|